Friday, May 03, 2013

Birthday cakes and ANZAC day reflections.

It's been a busy few weeks - going back to uni and having to get back into the academic swing of things on top of organising to move my life overseas!
But it was nice to have last Thursday off for ANZAC day. What did you do for ANZAC day?

I baked cakes for my twin sister's 25th birthdays. 



It was really simple to make. I doubled the recipe because the original mix looked a bit stingy.


On top of the cake I put fresh blueberries and some white sugar paste flowers I had made. The flowers are real easy to make - I'll put up a 'how to' tutorial soon.


Renee wanted a white chocolate mud cake.


I used this white chocolate mud cake recipe that I had used before.


Instead of making a white chocolate ganache I made a coconut butter cream icing:

COCONUT BUTTER CREAM:
200 grams of softened butter - beat on high speed until whitened
8 cups of sugar - add 2 cups at a time, mixing well after each
1 tablespoon natural coconut esence - mix well
Spread a crumb coat onto cake with a pallet knife, then allow to set in fridge. Add another coating of buttercream and press handfuls of coconut onto sides of cake and decorate the top.



On the top I used a ruffle design which I learnt at this ruffle cake workshop. It is actually very simple, you just need the icing, a 104 Wilton tip and a piping bag. Here is a youtube video to show you ruffle basics. 

I also decorated the top with cake balls:

Crumb any leftover cake (from leveling off your cake) and mix in a little buttercream icing to the crumbed cake. Work into balls of various sizes then coat in coconut or dip in white chocolate. A great way to use up your offcuts.

Renee wanted a berry coulis in the middle of the cake. Homemade berry coulis is actually pretty easy:

Put a few handfuls of frozen or fresh berries in a saucepan with a splash of water and a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar. Simmer until thickened. Cool it the coulis before adding to your cake or the buttercream will melt.

They loved their cakes and the were polished off before the weekend had finished.



Because it was ANZAC day the other Thursday I thought I'd share some of my Grandad's war memorabilia with you. 


He was a rear bomber on one of the Lancaster planes. A few years before he passed away he was interviewed extensively by Peter Jackson for the Dam Busters film. I look forward to finding a hint of his story in the film when it comes out.


His plane was shot down over France. Luckily he parachuted to safety. He got taken in by a family and eventually joined the French Underground.










This is an excerpt from his story. We are lucky to have his whole story written down, as it is incredibly interesting. I would love to post it here, but will need to hunt down the digital version. Do you have grandparents who fought in the war? Did they manage to record their stories for you?


Happy weekend everyone!

x

*30 days to go*
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...