Thursday, June 13, 2013

Adventure Diaries, Enter - Tokyo





The first thing I noticed flying into Tokyo were the rice fields; rows and rows of green rice fields (also lots of golf courses!) I had been expecting a sweaty concrete jungle with flashing neon signs, but was pleasantly surprised to find many a garden tucked between fences and buildings. Upon arriving my language headache began. A language headache can be characterised by a dull throb in the forefront of your skull. It is partly due to the brain working over-time to discover, read and pronounce words that look Martian and also because of the incredible stupidity and guilt you feel for not knowing the Mother tongue. Once I had got my head around a few new lines of Japanese, the Yen, and then secured a train ticket into downtown Tokyo, I was rather exhausted. My ‘international’ simcard was changing me almost 4NZD per MB (I had to top up almost everyday) and batteries on my devices were at an all time low (not sure why I neglected to pack a multi-board), so I was relieved to discover a charger on the Skyliner Express train. I had booked a place to stay on Airbnb and was set to meet one of my hosts Kotaro san at the train station. When I got there Kotaro was waiting for me in his traditional festival wear called Jinbei. He was very friendly and his English was good (thank goodness, because my Japanese isn’t). He took me on a little walk through the quiet Mejiro neighbourhood to Kero Kero House where I would be staying. 


At home I meet Kei san, who had been busy preparing my room for me. I had a traditional Japanese futon style bed and other necessities. They lent me a Japanese cellphone and portable wifi box (which took me a while to work out what it was capable of). Kotaro and Kei have gold host status on Airbnb and I can see why! As soon as I had arrived they offered to take me to Shibuya for dinner, and before you knew it I was back on the train zooming around Tokyo. 


One of the great things about Kero Kero House is it location next to the JR Yamanoshi line. This is the main line around Tokyo, which goes to many of the happening neighbourhoods. Think Christchurch Orbiter, but way bigger (Maybe I’m just thinking this because the line was bright green?) The menus are great, with Denny’s style pictures and some even list calories (see my post on 10 facts about Tokyo to witness the brilliant menus). I ordered a chicken dish which was very delicious.

The infamous Shibuya crossing


That night I was pretty exhausted and I finally snuggled onto my futon I was out like a light. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...