Thursday, June 13, 2013

Adventure Diaries, Meji Shrine - Tokyo


I was determined to get right into it despite having some 4am jetlag and the like.
I started my day with a traditional Japanese breakfast, courtesy of Kei san. Rice with nori, pork and tofu soup and a pot of green tea.


It was surprisingly delicious and really filled me up for the big day ahead.

Being the lovely sunny day that it was I thought a trip to the Shrine could be in order. A short trip on the Yamanote line and I found myself in Harajuku - a district known for its cosplay and creative fashionistas. The Meiji Shrine is situated just behind the Harajuku station.


It is hard to believe that such tranquil places exist in such a giant metropolis, but they do thank goodness, and they offer some much needed relief from the hustle and the bustle (not that I'd experienced it yet!)


This imperial shrine is dedicated to the spirits of Emperor Meiji and Empress Shōken and was finished in 1921.



To begin with I visited the Iris gardens - which also housed a fishing pond and scared water fountain.








In the Iris garden there were artists painting the field of flowers.






A traditional teahouse


There were lots of other interesting sights dotted around the Shrine and its gardens.

Wind chimes
Sake barrels  
Tour guide
Traditional Japanese wedding


Before entering the shrine itself you had to cleanse of course.


You wash your left hand, followed by your right and then your mouth, finally cleansing your wooden scoop with the remaining water.






Prayers for hanging on the tree

The wedding processional 



Day 2 to be continued...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...